View Single Post
Old 11-17-08, 09:48 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Although it is not a race, there will be riders who are racing it. Not so much against each-other, but against the clock. Near the end, they will race each-other to try and get 1st for the 35-mile group (just as the 109-mile, 80-mile, etc groups do too). These will be the riders up front. When you get on to the "course proper", you'll be joining 7-8,000 other people already there so you won't know who the racers are unless you start up front with them. Be prepared to average 25mph in the racing group (equates to like 19-20mph solo riding).

Riding in a group is no different than riding alone IF you follow these tips:
  • Biggest advice: Don't panic.
  • Almost biggest advice: before you move left or right off your line, take a quick glance behind you to see if you are being overtaken on your left or right too. If you are, do not move out into them!! Wait for them to go by.
  • Next biggest: under no circumstances should you let your front wheel overlap the rear wheel in front of you. Do I need to explain why?
  • Last biggest advice: watch out for other riders who don't know how to ride in a straight line. Give them plenty of room and accelerate away from them.
Almost forgot: I'll be there (2nd year) in the 109-mile group. Looking at start times and anticipated pace, we'll probably be past when you start. But, I'm a big ol' Clyde, wearing a Santa Clarita Velo jersey & shorts. If you see me, say "Hi".