genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
You have to be a fool to violate another vehicles right of way on a bicycle, because if the other vehicle doesn't give the right of way to you, you could get hit and rule number one of bicycling is DON'T GET HIT.

First of all, what is the definition of violating someone's right of way? To me, yeilding the right of way is making sure that no one, driver, ped or cyclist, has to alter their movement in any way because of my actions. As long as they haven't had to slow down, stop, speed up or alter their intended travel line because of my actions, I have not violated their right of way.

Now, lets not confuse violating the right of way with violating a traffic regulation, the two are NOT the same. I can run a red light and if there is no traffic, I haven't violated anyones right of way even though I failed to comply with a traffic law.
I tend to agree with this... but lets look at your comments a bit further... "As long as they haven't had to slow down, stop, speed up or alter their intended travel line because of my actions, I have not violated their right of way." So what does it mean when someone else (OK, a motorist) does speed up or alter their intended travel... because you did something "normal" like take a lane or put your arm out in a signal.

The classic case I am thinking of is you needing to make a left turn... and you put your arm out to signal based on seeing that the way appears clear... but a motorist speeds up, cutting you off... did you have ROW in the first place? (BTW I see this happening motorist to motorist on freeways too... )

Or say you are taking the lane, and are nicely destination positioned for going straight through at an intersection... but a motorist speeds up from behind you, does a swooping pass and then cuts you off...

Or of course the classic right hook where a line of travel is changed because you are there and the result is again, you get cut off...

Now would any of those situations tend to make you act rudely toward that motorist?