Thread: Who are you?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-01, 04:20 PM
HogWild
High cholesterol

Bikes: Bikes: Trek 730, Panasonic Dx-1000, Giant Cypress, Specialized Crossroads (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy!

My name is Carl. I'm 46 yrs old and living in San Angelo, a oasis of about 90,000 in the vast desolation of west Texas. My wife and I both work for Angelo State University, where she teaches nursing and I'm a Technology Services Analyst in the IT department. As if I wasn't busy enough already, I started working on a graduate degree in Communication this semester.

At various times in the past I've been an avid cyclist, but had embraced the sins of gluttony and sloth for the last 10 years or so. About a month ago I failed my cholesterol test and after sitting through the standard heart disease lecture and humbly accepting the pamphlets and a prescription for expensive drugs that I might have to take for the rest of my life, we decided that we need to make some lifestyle changes (I use the term "we" loosely - I get only token input into family health issues. My wife's a nurse, after all).

So I stand before you a changed man. I got a Giant Cypress, she got a Specialized Crossroads, and we're riding all over town. I started commuting on the bike last week, and try to get 10+ miles a day, 20+ miles on weekends. I quit eating so much Mexican food (except on Tuesdays, which is fajita day at Chilango's).

My 6'3" frame is down to 240 lbs and still dropping (it would drop faster were it not for Chilango's). I remember now why I loved pedalling so much. I go back to the doctor this Thursday and I think I have a pretty good shot at talking her out of renewing the prescription.
Finals are Monday.

Any questions?

c~

Last edited by HogWild; 05-01-01 at 04:22 PM.