Old 11-19-08, 05:30 PM
jhaber
Hip-star

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter biking Day 1 - Falls 1 - what is up?

The snow has finally started to collect here and today was the first day where there was a fair bit of snow and I was out on my beater/winter bike. This was my test run you could say. Heading to school that wasn't much of anything on the roads and everything was fine. Coming home was a whole other issue.

About 2-3 cm of snow and slush was on the ground and I could tell right away I had very poor traction. I was going super slow, running about 63 gear inches and I was sliding on gentle curves. So on the final hill to my house I am being very cautious careful and going really slow. I figure lets see how much traction I have and I pull up the tiniest bit on my pedal as I would to start a skid but before I would even be able to start a skid in rainy conditions my back wheel had already locked up. I am right on top of the bike and balanced and begin to pedal to unlock the wheel but my bike wheel is still skidding and sliding from left to right and it even seems as if my front wheel is skidding. I tried to correct but the whole back end of the bike sweeps out from underneath me and I go down into the middle of the road on the hill.

I was lucky. I wasnt wearing a helmet but came down on my side and hit my arm. It is not too bad and it will be ok soonish but there was a car not so far behind me. Luckly the car was a bit behind me and going slow. The driver pulled over the to the side of the rode to ask me if I was ok and said she was so happy she didnt hit me and was happy she was going slowly too.

Here is the bike:

I was advised to use skinny tires to sink through the snow and get contact with the road but these tires didn't do ****. I had no traction at all. What is up? One day into winter riding and I am already considering giving it up. Do I tried some studded tires? Do I say screw it and just walk (which is totally doable for where I go)? I don't trust this set up now. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this situation for me.

Last edited by jhaber; 11-19-08 at 07:10 PM.