View Single Post
Old 11-19-08, 06:47 PM
wcoastbikr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight really isn't too important to me, although it would be nice. I've got a road bike for fast rides. This is going to be a commuter bike.

Well I'm going to stake out craigslist and give it time to find a cheap frame and build around that. Really the main components that are important to me are the crank, fork(carbon, for comfort reasons), and brake calipers (being able to reach 700c, probably tektro).

Handlebars I'll probably flip and chop them into bullhorns. I've already got shoes and cleats, just need some used SPD-SL pedals from ebay which can be had for cheap. TT brake levers and calipers are cheap as well on ebay. The only real expensive things would probably be a crank. I want a nice crank.. Which leads me to two questions, are modern bottom brackets compatible with most older frames? Also what are some decent track cranks? Shimano only makes Dura Ace...which is a bit expensive for what I want.

Also what are my options for a cheap decent SS wheelset? I would prefer not to be riding on 30 year old wheels.