View Single Post
Old 11-21-08, 01:41 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
50+ Division of Labor

OK, so StapFam's post ("The only time hot soapy water and a mans hands should come into contact is when washing the bike down. Unless- you do the dishes while the wife does the gardening.") in another thread got me thinking. Besides the diamond frame/recumbent; Brooks/all other saddles; and, mt. bike or road bike differences, how different are we when it comes to the division of labor within a household?

In my household the weekly chores go like this:

Cooking - we both do it.
Dish washing - we both do it.
Vacuuming - I do it.
Dusting - I do it.
Bathroom cleaning - she does it.
Kitchen cleaning - she does it.
Laundry - we each do our own.
Yard work - I do it.
Changing bed linens - she does it.
Grocery shopping - she does it 7 out of 8 times.

Now keep in mind we both work full time at demanding jobs. In addition we were both raised in households where we were taught to be as self-reliant with these things as possible.

We try to split things up 50/50 and this carries over into other areas as well. We each have our own car and take responsibility for repairs and maintenance. When she used to cycle, she maintained her own bike and learned how to do moderate repairs.

What about the rest of you 50+ folks? How does it work for you? And for those of you living alone, how do you think it would work if you were living with someone else?