Old 11-23-08, 11:14 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arctos
Tony Hadland's book the Moulton Bicycle includes the comparative testing of full sized wheels and small 16 inch ones using identical pressure and tire type. These lengthy tests led to the Moulton view of small wheels listed in their Q&A section quoted below:
I think that all of that was born out by my experience of owning and riding the TSR30 that Sesamicrunch now owns and rides. I found that the bike did what Moulton says on the tin - I rode faster and longer than on my other folding bike, and the suspension not only made the bike more comfortable, but the road holding had to be experienced to be believed. It would literally fly over the bumps and I could pedal through the roughest of normal roads with absolute confidence at speeds I wouldn't have expected.

Sesami will no doubt say what he thinks about the arrangement. He has a much wider experience of bikes than I have, but I never felt that bike was slow.

Originally Posted by yangmusa
Close. Suspension lets your run narrow, high pressure tires with low rolling resistance without sacrificing comfort. You could run the same tires with no suspension, but it would be a rough ride.
I agree completely.