Banned

Bikes: Trek 3700 - Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving to Seattle, giving up my car.

Hey guys,

I always told myself that it would be very fun to move to a big city and ride my bike everywhere I needed to go. After my recent trip to Seattle, I have decided to move there in Feb/March. I am selling my car, and plan on getting a nice ss/fg when I get there. I am fairly new to biking, and very new to fixed gear (went on about five decent fg rides so far). I plan on training on an indoor trainer over the winter (it gets well below 20 degrees here on a daily basis) just to get my leg muscles in a bit better shape.

I was just wondering what concerns I should have about giving up my car and using a bike as my main method of transportation. Any problems or difficulties I may run into? I will be living right near the Market Place, and hopefully finding a job within five miles of that area. From what I saw Seattle has many hills, so I plan on running a front and rear brake. Would you guys suggest using it as a single speed at first to get used to riding around heavy traffic (I have never done this before)? Or do you think I will be fine jumping right into riding fixed gear?

Also, what are some nice bike shops in the area that I can check out when it comes time to purchase my bike?

Thanks in advance for any help.