View Single Post
Old 11-24-08, 07:48 PM
blove

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0, Comfort Bike (8/8/09)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Good advice from NOS88 -- you really won't know 'til you try (out different bicycle types). I've almost exactly the same set of issues, at age 57 Have the A (osteo) in knees, hips, thumbs/hands, and (now) spine (just suffered/diagnosed with compressed disc L4/5).

Generally, given proper positioning, including esp. saddle position, knees/hips won't be a problem provided you work up slowly. But spine/back a different issue, and what everyone prefers/tolerates seems to be different. For example, I've always preferred a semi-upright position, the kind one has on a x-country mtb, and prefer flat bars, but ... my dr. and physio are now suggesting that once I get control of the disc problem I may well want to try adapting to a more 'road' position for precisely the reasons NOS88 suggests re. friend -- to extend the back slightly and to help avoid 'jolts' travelling straight up through saddle into lower back.

Seems almost counterintuitive, but we'll see. As long as I can avoid a recumbent, or riding full-suspension on the road, I'll do whatever it takes.

At any rate, ride; for me, at least, there is no substitute.

Thanks Badger....I was actually thinking about a recumbent...think you might have changed my mind as I was fearful of the jolts from upright,,,,think I'll first try to extend the back somewhat. Gotta get down to the local bike shop as I'm really wanting to ride again. Thanks