View Single Post
Old 11-24-08, 09:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Missbumble
Hi Boston - Nice to meet you... OK since I am riding this winter so far (and warm as toast I might add) what prey tell are cycing goggles and why should I buy them?? cause if the temp falls below low 30s I may be in big trouble here... so doIneed googles? How much?where do I get them...etc
Hi Missbumbles,

Likewise, I'm glad to meet you. I try to correspond with the Boston Commuters I know of on Bike Forums, but Bostonians are known for being aloof, so I'm pleased to meet a Southern commuter.

I wear (need) eyeglasses to ride. Below about 35 degrees, I find that the wind makes my eyes sore, and even worse causes them to tear. However, when I wear goggles to deflect the cold wind, the moist exhaled air causes the googles and the eyeglasses to fog, and below about 20 degrees they even frost up. Many correspondents to BF since I have been posting, even in August of this summer, have discussed this problem. Here is a sample thread I have participated in on the subject, that expresses most of the opinions I have read, including my own, and IMO, the best solution:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi jpdesjar,

Originally Posted by jpdesjar
balaclava...i have to keep my nose uncovered so i don't fog up the glasses
Hi jpdesjar,

FYI, there have been several discussion threads about fogging glasses in the past few months. In particular macteacher and I have traded suggestions for modified goggles. See for example, "Glasses fogging up":

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=474041

My post #6 references our respective solutions. Most otherwise recommend goggles with double lenses, one with a built in fan, but mostly various potions to rub onto the lenses.
I just googled Atlanta weather and your current temp is 54 degrees. On Saturday, we had a cold snap down to 18 degrees. My coldest ride was -3. Have you had problems with winter riding? BF is a great source for solutions.