Old 11-25-08, 03:40 PM
swc7916

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
not to be too contrarian, but technically most people ride geared bikes. so wouldn't that make them the "followers"? =]

(for the record i ride a geared bike, and have a fixed geared one)
Very good observation...What I really meant is multi-geared. Being the Super Randonneur that you are and having multiple bikes, I'll bet that you pick the bike for the occasion; you would probably not choose to ride your fixed-gear on a brevet unless it was for some kind of personal challenge.

BTW: I really enjoy your cyclinginseattle blog; you have an entertaining style and the photography is quite good.

Originally Posted by bkowa092
swc7916, if you read my first post I asked if the forum would suggest starting with a single speed bike. I have decided that is what I am going to do, because it will give me the ability to coast until I get used to riding in traffic/riding down bike hills. I am not starting with a ss/fg for fashion or because it is the "cool" thing to do. To be honest, I am the furthest thing from a hipster you will ever meet. I am simply planning a ss/fg because I love my fixed gear that I have now. From the few rides I went on, I have gotten much more enjoyment then I ever have on my geared bike. I am also doing it so that I can challenge myself to get into better shape.
I did read your first post and I thought that I explained why I disagreed with your decision. Good luck with the move and I hope everything works out well for you.

Last edited by swc7916; 11-25-08 at 03:52 PM.