Old 11-29-08, 11:24 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I'd be leary of riding some of those sections that remind me of glorified sidewalks having to contend with peds and to cross traffic lanes numerous times.
Yeah, that first section (sidewalk thingy) is very rarely biked by most cyclists. Did you notice the concrete wedges at every street transition? Many tipsy cyclists riding home from the pub after dark have broken faces and collarbones on those silly things. Also, the bridge I started on is usually loaded with broken glass. Some volunteers cleaned it recently.

I'm also not fond of the section that the sharrow markings were painted next to the curb only to be obstructed by parked cars.
I wish the cars would have been parked there when they placed the sharrows in the parking area in City Park - I bet they would have put them more in the middle of the lane. They got it right almost everywhere else I think.

Are any of these MUPs and sharrows close to any retail businesses you frequent, and your workplace?
For me, these things are just a nice place to get 40 minutes of relaxing bonus miles after work. The new Wisner path could be valuable to some folks going to the University of New Orleans on the lakefront. However, there is a Rails-to-Trails corridor planned (I crossed it in the video at 1:58 - look for the train signal to the left - the tracks are long gone) for the near future that would link this network to a direct route into the city core. That will be significant if they can make it safe from the sketchy neighborhoods it will go through.

The intersection of the RtT and the path in my vid is slated to be developed into a huge "city center" format of condo / retail and eatery space. Then it will all make sense.

The planned Rails-to-Trails goes past my house 4 blocks away. It will get me within 2 blocks of the French Quarter and eliminate all of my high-speed traffic commute.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-29-08 at 11:32 AM.