Old 11-29-08, 05:08 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bah - I built my fixed gear conversion for about $220...so far I haven't seen any BD bikes that are under 300$. And, with mine, I can always run it as a geared bike if I want to. Depends what the OP wants...track geometry or the fixed gear riding experience. If it's the latter & the bike is right there (which I assume...'cause he took a picture of it), why not strip it, rebuild the bearings (which you can probably do easily & successfully with a non-abused, non-rusted out old bike like that), get at least a track-hub rear wheel & see what all the fuss is about. You're out virtually nothing & you can either clean it up from there & keep it as a fixed gear machine or put gears back on it (easy easy easy.....and even cheap to upgrade components on Ebay) & then get a dedicated FG/track bike. Of course, it all depends if you want the geometry & drivetrain or just the drivetrain...or if you're bent on getting all the cool colors, name-dropping brand parts, & all that...if the latter is the case, I guess BD won't satisfy either, come to think of it. Anyway, good luck & enjoy either way. Whatever you do, remember, you're making a pretty big decision if you cut off the braze-ons...but you probably got the bike for $10 anyway, so enjoy YOUR OWN decision on that too! Here's my 220$ FG machine which is thoroughly enjoyable to ride.