Old 12-01-08, 08:25 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hmm, who to nominate? Our Genial Admin hasn't posted criteria for selecting the Clyde and Athena of the Year, and that's probably a wise decision. Just what do you consider when nominating someone? Is it just miles ridden? Number of posts? Quality of posts? Expense of bike? Frequency of riding? Longest ride? Most hill climbing? Greatest aid to the Clyde/Athena 'community'? And on and on....

That said, here are my choices, and here's why I chose them.

Clyde of the Year: This was tough. There were a lot of choices. Ten Wheels for sheer miles, Neilfein for his century ride in June, bautieri and vXhanz for their century ride, bdinger for his gravel epic in September, and Mr. Beanz for being Mr. Beanz. That said, the race isn't always to the swiftest, even if the smart money bets that way. I've chosen a primary and alternate both because these guys have worked very hard to improve themselves and their riding, and because their infectious enthusiasm helps keep me motivated even during the dark times I've had this year.

Nominee: Racethenation. His avatar says "never again" with his starting weight of 329 crossed out. He rode the heck out of a Huffy before getting a road bike. He's got the determination every Clyde should have, and almost every Clyde wants.

Alternate: TechKnowGN. This was a tough call. I could have reversed the order of alternate and nominee, but Race shows a little more confidence than TKGN, and that decided things for me. I'm sure TKGN is going to overcome his tentativeness with the willpower he's using to overcome obesity.

Athena of the Year: There was only one clear choice for this. MissBumble. Listing the reasons for nominating her are pointless, and I'll leave it to other posters to describe them.

Funniest Thread: Having started a lot of them, I respectfully decline to nominate one.

Rookie of the Year: MissBumble again. Alternate: TechKnowGN.

Last edited by Neil_B; 12-01-08 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Horrible grammar and typos! Oh my!