Old 12-03-08, 11:18 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by challaday
OK, I just got my powertap two days ago. I purchased the Allen & Coggan book about a month ago and read it cover-to-cover. So tonight I did the test from Chapter 3 on Functional Threshold Power, and I would like to make sure that I'm on the right track.

I followed their instructions religiously by taping a small guide on my handlebars while on my Kurt Kinetic trainer. I did the warmup as they proscribe, and then the 20 minute time trial. Oh, and if it matters, yesterday was my "rest" day and I did about an hour's worth of light spinning.

After downloading the data, the 20 minute time trial average power was 263.2 watts. According to the book, that means that 95% of that number, or 250.04 is my FTP. Since I weigh 155 pounds, or 70kg, that means my wkg value at FTP is 3.57

Does this sound like the right methodology and conclusion? Is doing the TT on the trainer good or bad?
I think you're on the right track. If you do the test on the trainer, make sure you repeat it on the trainer everytime to exclude outside variables. Personally, I think testing on the trainer is the way to go.

Also, I would do a MAP test and see if your 20 minute interval falls in the range of 72-78% of MAP. Use it as a check.

Heh, your FTP and W/KG is right around mine. I'm ~68Kg.