Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
I've always thought that blinking jumps out more among a sea of red car tail lights. That's why I keep mine on blink. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise though.
I can't speak so much for the tail lights, but my experience with bright flashing LED headlights tells me they work. I take an occasional before sunrise ride out through the rural areas of the county. I use a beam and a seperate flashing LED. My partner uses a bright beam only. When he is riding up front, oncoming cars pass without any indication that they saw us. When I am up front, most cars slow noticeably as they approach. The difference in motorist behavior is pronounced. There is a pre sunrise group that rides near where I work. Their flashing LED taillights are very noticeable. I can't recall any depth perception issues. The lights do their job in that they let me know something is there that I don't want to hit. If there is a depth perception issue, it is irrelevant to me as I have already altered speed and/or path well before I get to a point where a small depth perception issue could cause a problem.