Old 12-05-08, 05:00 AM
derrickhackman

Bikes: litespeed, look, c-dale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Jim Martin and John Cobb are renowned for their studies of cycling mechanics. They've published numerous articles in the peer reviewed literature. You say their results are wrong. What data do you have to back that up?

the only data i have is years of experience racing bikes in New England and knowing what goes down. If you anything less than a Cat 3 then perhaps you can get off the front and solo attack your way home... but I don't think you need an aero frame to do that. If you are a Cat3 any solo attack will likely get chased down. It you are 1 or a 2 then I doubt you would even be asking the question about areo frames.

at the end of the day if there is data to suggest some type of benefit then hey ... great! however I think the biggest limiting factor with an aero frame is the rider and the combination of rider and bike (wheels, shoes, cranks, shoulder width, helmet etc...) should be considered. again, this diligence is great for a TT where you know that being slippery helps... but i not convinced when you have a 50, 60, 70, 80...100 mile road race with hills.

at the end of the day, get what you think will make you feel fast.... i suppose.