SlowJoe
Clean it? You clean it!

Bikes: GT OUTPOST "All Terra"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buddy up and be seen ...

Sounds a lot like the cross country commuting we see in England. Some people where I live commute across dark common land [offroad gravel, cattle, horses, lakes, riverbanks, etc etc etc]. We do feel that at times they put themselves at risk. My best advice is firstly, be seen as much as you can with bright clothing and good lights. Secondly, cycle with a friend or twelve if you have to ride anywhere off of the main street. Thirdly, adjust your pace to the environment, don't be afraid to get off and walk across busy streets, and use the pavement/street as is safest for you, take water and a snack because it sounds like you'll need it! Fourthly, keep your communications open, so tell someone when you are due home so they know if you are late [yeh it's a pain!], charge your mobile/cellphone, keep cash/coins for payphones, know how far it is to the next/nearest gas station. Lastly, if your good at mechanics carry a couple of tools [but never overload the bike or your backpack!!!] and a spare inner tube to fix any minor problems [at a safe place like], oh oh did I say to maintain your bike and make sure your have the right tires/tyres [street/offroad]??? ... gosh sounds like there is so much to just what should be a simple cycle! In summary, be seen, buddy up, and stay in contact! I hope I didn't get too far away from the question