View Single Post
Old 12-06-08, 03:01 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamison
eBay completed listings show a Surly Long Haul trucker sold for $880 plus $46 shipping, so somebody was willing to pay $926 for an older model when this year's new model costs $1095. That is about 85% resale value. Had 10 bids. I recently lost out on Craigslist to a guy selling a LHT for $775 plus $50 shipping. I think you guys are underestimating the demand for these specific touring models.

I'm just trying to make excuses for myself to spend a lot on a new bike even though I am out of shape and new to cycling and probably couldn't tell the difference between cheaper and more expensive bikes anyway
Or maybe someone was willing to pay too much on Ebay? When asking a group of people who are interested enough to join a bicycle forum they might be less inclined to pay 80 percent for a bike we know we can get for less somewhere else. But then I have heard of people paying good money to buy a corn flake looking like Iowa on Ebay so who knows what things might sell for? But for me it is very unlikely that I would buy a used three year old Trek on Ebay for 80-85 percent when I can simply wait till the end of the year when the LBS discounts new Treks to make room for the next years Treks. Remember some of the posters in these forums buy and sell bikes for a living.