genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
I'm hesitant to post my reasons on the internet. The helmet issue is contentious for some and the defensive stance some take when explaining why they don't wear a helmet is something I don't want to deal with around this issue.

I began wearing a helmet occasionally after a close friend was killed riding her bike while not wearing one.

I began wearing a helmet every time I rode after a second friend was killed riding his bike while not wearing one.

If I may preemptively say, yes, in all honesty I have no idea if either of these lives would have been saved by their wearing a helmet. On the other hand, had they both died wearing helmets at least I would know now that even a helmet wouldn't have saved them and, oddly enough, that would have been some consolation. As it is I'm left always with the thought, "what if they'd worn a helmet?"

This may make no sense to anyone unless they've been in this situation but it was certainly enough to make me wear a helmet after years of riding thousands of miles without one. If nothing else it's as much for anyone I might leave behind as it is for myself- it communicates that I did everything I could to survive.
Nah, makes lots of sense to me... I had a friend saved by a seat belt back in the early 70's... lots of details, but suffice it to say I always wore a seat belt after that, long before it was mandatory or common.