Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by lemondzurich
Nessism - Thanks for the tips. Now that I've gotten the rest of the frame together, my brazing has gotten better and to your point, I now know that joint was underfilled. I've gotten much better at pulling silver from one side to the other as well. (Still have a lot to learn though.)

I'm going to go back and re-braze my early attempts (like the one in the video) and try to get the puddling like you show above.

Thanks again for the tips... let me know if you have any more!

Good deal on going back and redoing those joints. You need about 3 or 4 times as much filler as you used...no kidding.

Not sure if you have seen Richard Sach's photos but they are very informative as far as photos go. Maybe we need to prod him to make a video or two brazing a joint...you out there Richard? His photos show how much flux to use for example. One caution though, Mr. Sachs is a master and his joints don't show hardly any filler on the lug edge - this is because he knows what he is doing and 1) only adds as much as necessary and 2) he pulls any extra inside the joint. Don't be fooled into thinking you need your joints to look like his; you would be much better off to add too much filler and then have to scrap it off the outside vs. not adding enough and underfilling the joint.

Keep going...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9866331@N08/sets/

Last edited by Nessism; 12-10-08 at 08:50 AM.