View Single Post
Old 12-07-08, 03:41 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
It seems the OP already has two spare bikes, so the issue isn't having another bike to ride, but another *road* bike to ride.

When I returned to cycling, I bought bikes at the rate of one every nine months. Didn't plan it that way, it's just how the timing worked out.

The first road bike was a badly abused bike I bought with the intention of learning how to rebuild. I enjoyed that process tremendously. All that remains of that original purchase are the bars, stem, fork, frame and bottle cage screws. Of course I also have all the tools, the Big Blue Book and all the instruction sheets that came with the components too.

What I got out of it is a fair-weather fun ride bike and backup commuter. I also learned enough that if I wanted, I could do all my own maintenance. In practice, I now have a choice of whether or not to get my hands dirty.

One needs to be careful when rebuilding an old bike. Rescue bikes are like rescue dogs or rescue kids. They worm their way into your heart real bad.