View Single Post
Old 12-10-08, 02:00 PM
Bigrick31

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New rider from the bay area

Hey everyone hows it going? My name is Rick and i just got into cycling.

How i Got started
I was laid off 2 days before thanks giving as an apprentice electrician. The slow economy has left hardly and work for construction workers these days. Anyways My truck broke down and i really cant afford to fix it right now living off of unemployment so i decided to start riding my bike. Everything i need is only about 5 miles away gym, doctor, groceries ect. Ive been riding to and from the gym 5 days a week its 9 miles round trip. mostly downhill to the gym and up hill on the ride home. Its been hard but rewarding. Ill definatly say that i am hooked! Once i go back to work i plan on adding a morning and evening ride to and from my carpool spot along with rides to the gym ect. I would ride to work but its 45 miles along a major highway to get there so thats a no go.

My Bike
The bike is at least 12 years old. Its an Iron Man made by huffy that ive had for those 12 years. The shifters are broken and reliability of the shifters is questionable sometimes it change gears when you shift and sometimes you have to tinker with it for a while. I just had new tires put on it and had my rear wheel hub adjusted it was really loose and the rear wheel was rubbing the frame of the bike. The bike weighs about 35 lbs and im pretty sure its a little small for me (im 6' tall) I would love to upgrade to a better bike Most likely a hybrid the roads where i live Vallejo CA arnt the best i ride across a lot of damaged roads with pot holes and rail road tracks, but im on a very strict budget so i guess for now ill stick with upgrading little pieces of the bike here and there when i can afford it. I just did the wheels so i think the next upgrade will be my shifters.