Old 12-11-08, 09:34 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by J.C. Koto
Unless my search-fu is weak today, I haven't seen a thread like this, so here it goes.

What is (or if rectified, was) the weak link that kept you from riding in comfort when it got cold outside? That is, was there some part of your body that no matter what equipment, tips, etc. that just wouldn't stay warm enough to safely ride through the winter? (i.e. frostbite or hypothermia issues). What steps did you take to figure out something that worked, or did you give up riding in certain cold temperatures?
Feet are the most uncomfortable, but now tolerable with new neoprene boots. Fogging eyeglasses with goggles were the most hazardous but now solved. See:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=450447

post #47

I've been so persistent in my quest to present my solution, that I am now a nominee for the The First Annual Pcad BF Road Cycling Futility Award ;-)

Edit: I just noted on the poll that no one listed face (other than eyes) as a problem. I think it is facial coverings that force the moist air up into goggles and eyeglasses to cause fogging.

Originally Posted by dobber
No offense, but I suggest you get use to riding with a bit of exposed skin. I use to regularly commute in sub-zero temps with just safety glasses. 10-15 mile commutes. Your cheeks will get a bit rosey, but your not getting frostbite.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-11-08 at 09:45 PM.