Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Camels Don't Live On Tundra

When it gets really cold there is always an issue of frozen hydration. My polar water bottles do an admirable job of not freezing but in -0 F windchills, they eventually freeze. So today, i decided to get out the dreaded Camelback. I have always hated this thing and i think i have only used it a couple times.

I put some water in it and put it under my outershell. Well 20 minutes into the ride, my back was starting to sweat. Plus the hose is UNDER my jacket so how am i to drink out of it? I pull it out once to take a drink and the hose is already basically frozen.

Miles later I decided to take it off and put it on the rear rack. Not being able to get it to fit on the rack, i then just threw it on over my outer shell. Miles later i was really getting pi55ed. It was compressing my outer shell and making me colder. Finally I said to hell with it. I found a bridge to stash it under, there was also a dead dear under there. I'm not sure which is less valuable, the camelback or the deer carcus?

ANyway, i did go back and retrieve it later with the car. I just swore to never use it again. I have read a lot of various tips on how to keep the water bottle from not freezing, etc. None of them really work. HOw is everyone else coping with this dilema? (vodka in the waterbottle???)