View Single Post
Old 12-15-08, 08:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by dekindy
This week is not looking good for me riding outside. I don't ride unless my normal road bike with regular tires can go so snow and ice is out. My riding companions adhere to that philosophy also and are starting spin classes. I am going to get my backup bike set up on the trainer. It is probably good to take a break from the bike awhile anyway.

I am anxious to wear the open safety glasses under more extreme conditions and at different humidities...

This winter is a bummer. The previous two winters that I rode I was able to go all January and part of January respectively. Thanksgiving Day was wonderful here but I was not able to ride and the Tuesday prior is the last day that I was outside riding. November, surely not the end of the winter riding season for me but it could be. Just when I got the winter specific shoes that I have not had a chance to try and seem to found the answer to the fogging problem. Oh well, at least I am making progress and will be ready when the road conditions are favorable again.
I feel your pain; this November I was off the bike for eight days, five for illness and recovery, and three for rain. Though I ride in the winter, that layoff motivated me to start riding my mountain bike in the rain, and I am now looking into studded tires for winter ice, for possible 365 days-a-year riding. On my mileage spreadsheet I currently have an excuse column ;-)

I ride for health, but what gets me out nearly every day is commuting by bike to work. Have you considered that? (no reply necessary) After a while, I find that I start to welcome the challenging weather days, to test my preparations and to answer that usual question, "Did you RIDE today"?