Old 12-15-08, 10:35 AM
quittaboy

Bikes: Madwagon Fulsom, Jamis Quest, SE Draft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike removal - Chicago

So, I have a question to which I'm sure I'll receive lots of witty responses and people telling me about the law.

Chicago: On my walk from the bus to my office there is a beautiful older (mid 90s maybe?) periwinkle alum frame Trek 1000 with pink lettering. It's been locked up to a street sign for at least 4 months. It's been completely stripped down to the frame. The only things remaining are the chain, frame and handlebars (with the STI shifters still attached). This bike has obviously been abandoned. It's such a beautiful old frame it pains me to walk by it every day. I'd love to see it restored (maybe even as a single speed, though it has the shifters). Is there any recourse for someone wanting to lay claim to an abandoned bike? Is there a service that can remove the lock? Before you chime in, yes, I know it's not mine. I know that taking it essentially amounts to stealing. I'd prefer to think of it as "reclamation" Its original owner obviously has no interest in it and it's such a shame to see it sitting there unused. I'm just asking innocently if there is a way to "get it". Should I contact the city?

Thanks for any advice.