Old 12-19-08, 07:36 PM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
+1 That's how I learnt how to ride!... rather by accident...

"I" was the last one to learn in my peer group! That's why I have a tremendous amount of empathy for the kid. He reminds me of me, except I couldn't bear to be left-out by my friends, so I literally ran behind them around the neighborhood (they often stopped laughing to wait for me to catch up)... but there was no way, I was going to be left behind. The more someone tried to teach me, the more I messed-up and my self-confidence fell to zero.

I'd get him one of those or something similar and leave it at his house for him to use whenever or if ever he pleases. Give him opportunity to do this alone and by himself, away from anyone watching. If he learns he learns, if he doesn't then he doesn't... nothing to loose. We're all different.

BTW, when my mates grew up, they ALL stopped cycling. I on the other hand, went on to own several motorcyles including a Suzuki RM250 motocross bike. Then at 21, I got talked into doing street BMX. I've learnt how to bunny hop, jump, wheelie, etc. I took it up again together with my kids and entered my very first BMX race when I was 38 (24" cruiser class). I then continued riding mountainbikes and have seen nature trails so beautiful it'll make you cry. I have, and have been asked to build and design several bicycles throughout this time, and hope to be able to continue to do so... all this because thankfully, I "accidentally" learnt how to ride on an ugly small bike no one wanted to use.