Old 12-20-08, 04:29 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nervous about building my first set of wheels...

I know, this is probably normal, possibly even for experienced builders (especially when building for themselves, funded by themselves).
I've got a few questions, but, first some info.
What I'm building is 700c, 3x, 32 Spoke wheels, potentially with Phil Wood hubs and definitely Black Mavic OpenPro's. The Phil Wood's will be 126mm thread on Field Serviceable types - HERE and the matching front hub - HERE
Ok... so... I'd like some tips, any you've got.
These won't be my FIRST-first wheels (if that makes any sense). They'll be my first built wheels I'll ride. Currently I've got two wheels off an old Schwinn that I'm spending time dismantling, then relacing, then retruing. Trying to do the best job I can in that process. I know this is probably a good idea, and good practice. I've got a truing stand, The Minoura Pro stand, so, I'm not doing this the less advisable way between the brake calipers. I've also got one book (The Art Of Wheelbuilding), and just printed out the entire about wheelbuilding from Sheldon Brown, so, I've got good ideas, and advice. Though, I plan on getting "The Bicycle Wheel" soon, as well.
I'd just like some tips in being sure of spoke length, truing radially and laterally, and (while it's hard to give advice on it) being confident in your wheels.
I'm hope I'm not coming off as whiny or anything, I'm just new to this, and would rather have new wheels over old ones that I'm not sure where, or what, they've been through (that and finding new thread on wheels is nigh impossible).
Thanks all. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.
-Gene-