Old 12-22-08, 02:27 PM
50000 Guatts of power

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cachehiker
It's the apparent availability of the felt that's the problem and not the cost. I can find 1/4" stuff everywhere but the 1/8" stuff seems to require me to buy in bulk or pick up a bunch of 1/4" and 3/8" scraps to go along with it. I can get the neoprene from Quest Outfitters.

Also, from what I've read the Toasty Feet Insoles are thicker than what I can accomodate in the manner described previously. I don't want to lose the "loose fitting shoes" and the extra insulation they provide.

Anyway, I tore into my outdoor equivalent of everybody's bike component junk box looking for my hiking gaiters yesterday and stumbled across the unused insoles out of some Alpina NNN-BC ski boots I bought a year and a half ago. They're about 50% thicker, maybe 5 mm, made of what appears to be two different densities of felt, and offer some arch support as well.

I think I'll appreciate the added lateral stiffness offered by the elongated Superfeet heel cups more in the old xc ski boots more than the slightly stiffer pedaling platform they provide in the Lakes. I think I'll cut the bc ski insoles down to fit the Lakes and see how they do. It is, after all, a cheap experiment. It's not like the old insoles have been doing anything more than collecting dust.

new toasty feets are a bit thinner. you need to order direct from polarwrap to make sure you get
the thinner ones

and

toasty feet are so damn good anything else is just half-arsed. really

also toasty feet has an arch support version. I don't know exactly how they do it but
I just ordered 1 pair with and 1 pair without, to compliment the pair I already own because
ALL my winter boots are getting toasty feet upgrades. they are teh bomb