Old 12-27-04, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by RedHairedScot
"All this is contingent on the fact that you are NOT doing anaerobic work... your intensity would have to be low enough so that the lactate accumulation in the blood is able to be recycled through Krebs."

The moral of this story is that Koffee can beat us at a bike race OR at scrabble.

Seriously, where do you find this out? I used to lift weights regularly until I dated a runner, then switched almost entirely to cardio sports. I try to keep myself well-educated about fitness but there's apparently another level of knowledge entirely. As a grad student, there's no way I can afford a personal trainer. Besides the seminars you mentioned, where do you get your info?

I'm guessing it's not from the magazines with the blonde chick and the guy with the six-pack and the headline "Better abs in 10 minutes a day".
Good god! Those magazines with the fitness tips that can be done within a certain number of reps, a certain amount of time, or a certain amount of minutes per day just make me laugh. I was standing around at one of my fitness clubs with the instructors and we picked up Shape. I said something like "great, now I can get the perfect abs for 10 minutes a day in one month!" I was being totally naive and sounding so riduculous that everyone just broke out in laughter. We didn't stop laughing for a full 15 minutes, as I went through the article and read aloud, pausing for much dramatic effect and demonstrating all those great moves. Well, I still don't have the flat abs, but I did get a great laugh!

You would really have to attend a few of the fitness conventions and go to the different seminars in the area (or out of the area in my case, since I've attended conventions worldwide). Besides that, do lots and lots of reading. Then you have to teach or just apply the knowledge so you can put it all together. Once you know how to put it all together, you can train others.

Those fitness magazines like Men's Health, Shape, Prevention, etc. just give nothing. It's like being a professional cyclist trying to glean imformation about cycling from Bicycling Magazine.

Koffee