Old 12-27-08, 10:02 AM
Rob_U

Bikes: Trek 2008 Navigator 2.0, 2010 Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sumguy
Weird coincidence that I would get a stone after a fall.
I've had several kidney stones. They form attached to the wall of the kidney, and eventually fall out, or get dislodged. The first one I had started to pass after I got side-swiped (in a car). The impact of falling is enough to dislodge it and start it's journey. There is no pain when it's in the kidney. The severe pain is mostly from contractions as it leaves the kidney, and the Ureter (tube) tries to adjust to the solid object. The pain usually turns to a low ache as it continues in the Ureter. I have passed a 5mm stone, which is about as big as can be passed. I would follow up with the Urologist, because a stone that size can cause a blockage, and over time the kidney can swell.

They can usually do and ultrasound to check the kidney size, and a flat plate x-ray (regular single x-ray) to track the stone. I let them do a cat scan once in the emergency room, but since have read that the radiation is several times more than a flat plate, and not worth it for a stone.

I have passed them all without surgery, including the 5mm. I was scheduled for the procedure where they go up after it (yep, through THERE), but thankfully it passed on it's own before the day. Don't worry, the last few inches only last a half a second!