Old 12-27-08, 04:59 PM
2Yutes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions from a newbie....

Hi All....have a few questions.

I just received a really mint bike from my brother who used to use it to jump off cliffs and stuff but for my purposes its going to be something to hopefully get my fat butt in shape.

It’s a Kona Coiler bike with dual suspension. I don't know much at all about bikes but my brother, who is a seasoned biker, suggested a seat height that to me seemed ridiculously high. I felt like I was 6 feet off the ground and bent over where I felt like I was going to flip over the handlebars. I don’t know how he rides like that but since he's pretty experienced, I can only guess that is supposed to be the way to ride.

I was curious if there are replacement handlebars and a neck I can get for this bike that might provide me a more upright ride?

I know this is a high end bike and its probably sacrilege to turn a hardcore cliff jumper into a fat guy's cruiser but since I have the bike, I would like to use it comfortably. I may have to return it to him some day so I can't screw it up too bad.

I was told when I first got it that he had on a fatter set of handlebars than normal. I assume this was an upgrade of some sort and the neck must have been made larger to accommodate the larger handlebars. I was also told if we go with a longer neck and handlebars, we would have to do a brake bleed or something? The bike shop guy said this was really expensive.

Anyone know of any online stores that sell a heavy duty extended handlebar and neck combo for this bike? I want to get a bit more height so I have a more upright riding position. I am 300+ pounds, which is why my brother gave me the bike to begin with. He assured me I couldn't break it in half like I have other bikes and so far he's correct. It’s holding up really well.

Thanks in advance.