Old 12-28-08, 01:24 AM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First grocery run

My rear wheel went out of true on my way home on Christmas morning so I didn't get to commute by bike Xmas evening and back home on the 26th. Lack of time in the saddle was making me antsy by the time I finished work on the morning of the 26th so I planned on getting my established wheelset trued and my extra wheelsets trued and tyred. I didn't sleep well on the 26th or on the 27th because of the lack of exercise. By the time the evening of the 27th rolled around, I had so much extra energy to burn that I was barely restraining myself from bouncing up and down in whatever chair I happened to be in.

All of that made me decide to do my first grocery run by bike (which I got back from just a little while ago). Good gracious was it nice to just ride up the road. I noticed myself slipping into a zen state on the way to the grocery store but the mood was broken by my realization and by a yellow light.

This whole addiction to exercise thing is really a novelty to me and it's having such a huge impact on the way I live my life.

Oh darn, I forgot the cat food. I guess I'll have to go back. Or maybe I should save that for tomorrow night so I have a reason to ride (the cat has food but the extra supplies are running a wee bit low).

As a side-note, I wasn't able to remove my newish 26 x something street slicks from the established wheelset (which turned out to be damaged) because the bead wouldn't unseat. Instead I went and bought some Michelin City tires for one of my spare wheelsets (now the main set) and lemme tell ya, those things are much nicer than what I had before (20 psi higher pressure, reflective sidewall, and a smaller contact patch). I don't have a way of verifying it yet but I think my rolling resistance went down and my speed up.

Also, it's interesting how drivers are more polite when your bike is loaded down with stuff and when you blink like the ship from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.