View Single Post
Old 12-28-08, 12:55 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tatfiend
Pre the new LED generator headlights virtually all have been more to be seen than to see with IMO. The amount of light they put out is/was minimal with a 3 watt maximum incandescent bulb. This includes the current Shimano hub generator headlight.

If not trying to restore the bike to true original, just look somewhat period, this is a cheap solution.

If tire wear turns out to be a problem then Schwalbe makes several tires with a generator track on the sidewall. Thicker rubber there for longer wear.
You know, I am beginning to think that most of the folks saying things like this have never used a generator light. My 3-speed when I was a kid back in the early 1950's had a Miller setup. It was about as bright as the car lights of the period. The first time I came up behind a buddy's bike at night, he thought it was a motorcycle behind him.

A three watt dyno-light is adequate up to about 15mph, I can understand why some one riding a road bike at 25-30 mph would be unhappy with it. The 12 volt, 6 watt light this tread is about is twice as bright as that old Miller; you can see the light form a few hundred feet away in bright daylight, and at night it lights the road 100 feet in front of you well enough to avoid running over something. In fact it is almost as bright as my 3 D-cell Maglight, if it would take the same type bulb it would probably be brighter.

Next there are comments about the poor quality of the light. I do not see much difference in quality from the old Miller system. No the chrome is not as heavy, but these things have alway been built to a price point. If you are willing to pay $100+, you can get somewhat better quality but it is not 3x better. For my needs, once in a great while getting caught out after dark this light is more than adequate, it is fine.

Think of it as a emergency lighting system, not a commuter lighting system. It is there when you need it, no worries about dead batteries.

The system is far better than you would think it would be at the price I paid, and it looks appropriate on a vintage (pre-bike-boom) bicycle. If it came with a decent set of instructions for installation and use I would not hesitate recommending it. As it does not, I can not truely recommend it to someone who does not already understand those things.