View Single Post
Old 01-02-09, 11:16 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Znomit,
Call me curious...
How do you find your third water bottle on the front of the down tube; seems prone to road dirt but maybe fender protection is adequate? Front tire clearance is enough for convenient bottle access?

Your guidance re bags is much appreciated. How did you find this One Way thread? Do you ride singlespeed in NZ? Your Volpe looks well suited for touring in NZ although my views are overly biased by my very fond recollection of rolling, steep hills north of Auckland.

Does the Millbrook bounce against your cantilever brake cable?
The extra 500ml is welcome on tours and warmer days, two bottles often isn't enough and sometimes its a long way between faucets. I had trouble finding a cage that would hold the third bottle low enough and even then it wont take a regular bottle due to wheel clearance, needs a small stubby one. I decant into the other bottles so dirt/tar/cow/sheep dung isn't such a worry.

I don't have the bianchi anymore but I use a behind the saddle dual bottle holder on my new trek so if its not too hot I can do 100 miles without stopping. But it means no millbrook so on short tours its camelbak or stop lots. Yeah the volpe was a good all rounder, commuting/touring/light MTB/ and comfy enough to ride all day and night. Took me around fiji even. Been replaced with three bikes

The millbrook has a seatpost buckle so its held firm and doesn't wobble/bounce. Combined with a bar bag its a nice solution for a small amount of luggage, street clothes, tools, spares, and toiletries. The pic above was during a 2 day 360km tour, last feb I did a 3 day 500km trip (rode to a century, rode home) on my trek with the same bag.

I was lusting after a One Way last year, but I'm pretty happy with my new Swedish Nishiki singlespeed which gets me to work and back.