View Single Post
Old 01-05-09, 02:29 PM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Thanks guys - all very valid points. Thanks for the help.

I guess I'll rent bikes and take them on a car rack.

CrimsonEclipse - dont you think MTBs would be better suited for these kind of trails than road bikes?+
In the Whites, the ride over Bear Notch Road and across the Kancamagus is a classic road bike ride. You'd need to be fairly fit to do it though. The ride on the bike path from Lincoln up into Franconia notch is a fun ride. It will get you to the various interesting stops along the way. With car support you could do as much or as little of it as you like. A road bike or hybrid would be fine.

In Acadia you can ride the roads around the park and around Mount Desert Island on a road bike. Unless you go up Cadillac Mountain there are no big climbs. In the park there is a network of dirt carriage paths. The surface can be iffy, and there can be short steep ups and downs. They are a blast to ride on a mountain bike.

There are so many things to do in both places, why lug the bikes? Bring the rack by all means, that can get you to various start points, but I would just rent bikes on the days you want to use bikes. In both places you definitely want to leave time for hiking, kayaking, whale watches, miniature golf, ...

Speedo