Thread: how to fall
View Single Post
Old 01-06-09, 06:40 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rduenas
How're all you guys falling at speed? And rolling out of it while still in the clips?

Chances are you're going to go down on one side or the other. Holding on the handlebars keeps the head out of danger and your shoulder takes most of the energy.
I've only crashed once on my roadie; touched wheels with the guy in front of me. I landed on my thigh/hip and slid. I don't think my head hit; no scratches or dings on the helmet.

I've crashed several times(well, practically every time I ride) on my mtb. Yep, rolling through it is key. I think better skills is the best advice, though.

I recommend you wear gloves. I wear the half-finger ones but in the cold switch to full fingered ones. Keeps those hands from getting scraped raw and full of road grit.

Crashing while moving fast usually means you'll slide. Crashing slowly brings you down hard, usually you put a hand out but you can't lock that elbow or you might break something. I've done enough horizontal track stands to be able to break my fall with a hand then shoulder hit, rolling on my back.