View Single Post
Old 01-06-09, 03:13 PM
fvalenti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We tour with a Burley rumba. I purchased it nearly new for less than 2k. Aside from new wheels (which were a desire- not a need) it is stock. It has carried us (a not so slight 400 lbs - unfortunately), and our gear (on a bob and front and rear racks). This train has rolled over many road touring miles, and some off road, including the Denali highway in Alaska, without issue.

I'm sure you will find many opinions here and on the touring forum that all basically support the same idea: any bike will work depending on where you go and how much you want to carry. Folks certainly have opinions about what works best for them, but as the old saying goes - your mileage may vary. The touring forum has lots of discussions regarding steel vs aluminum, brifters versus bar ends, etc which can give you a feel for what might be "better" or what to avoid.

For me - the only thing I would change (if I had the money) might be couplers. Having to create a bike box to get the beast on the plane and paying the oversize charge is sometimes a hassle. On the other hand, not enough of a hassle to have mine retrofitted or to upgrade to a new ride.

good luck.

Last edited by fvalenti; 01-06-09 at 03:18 PM.