Old 01-07-09, 10:11 AM
isotopesope
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why do you want to replace your current motobecane to begin with? i'd wager any motobecane/windsor is the exact same frame, with different decals and parts. if you went with a new BD bike, you'd essentially just be buying new parts. why not just do a few upgrades to your current bike? it seems the angles and bb height is pretty similar between the redline and the BD bikes, so i'm sure the handling is similar. i can't imagine you're missing much... other than disc tabs and an aluminum fork. you could replace the steel fork on your cx with an aluminum one and call it a day.

when getting a new bike, i think the most important factor is fit. i'd first decide which one has the best geometry for you first. if it were me, i wouldn't buy any of them based on my personal fit preferences and requirements. however, of the three, i'd choose the redline based on using it mainly as a commuter.

secondly, if this is mainly going to be a foul weather commuter, will you want racks and fenders? i would imagine fenders are a must in chicago. it appears the bikesdirect frames all can accomodate a rear rack and fenders. i'm not sure about the redline.

as far as parts, the BD bikes all are spec'ed with nicer stuff, especially comparing cranksets, but is any of that really neccessary for foul weather commuting? if you're going to be riding in slop, a 10 speed drivetrain could be more finicky. do you really need a carbon fork to commute? i prefer that the redline uses a traditional threadless headset, rather than a dumb integrated one.

as for potentially running discs, both the outlaw and conquest have 130 rear spacing. does the redline come with disc ready wheels? if not, finding 130 spaced disc hubs could be a challege. if it were me, i'd just stick with rim brakes...

Last edited by isotopesope; 01-07-09 at 01:46 PM.