View Single Post
Old 01-08-09, 11:32 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
On a serious note, I've found that a yearly mileage goal is more workable for me. It allows for those weeks when you're recovering from being sick, have to work overtime, or have other unexpected things disrupt your riding. For me the down side has been (except for this year) that in December there has been a big push to get in miles to reach the goal. And where I live December is not a great month to put in extra miles! !
I know this sounds overly analytical, but I worked out my annual goal the other day by trying to figure out the seasonality of my riding mileage *and* blocking out the two weeks of the year I already know will yield zero miles.

So my January "budget" is easier than my June/July targets....I don't get too concerned about "missing" a week; I do get concerned about "missing" a month.

And, yes, it's still fun. Getting in the miles makes my riding more fun. This morning to dodge some nasty traffic downtown I decided to take a quick detour up a short, steep hill. Two years ago I wouldn't have done it; last year it would have been a chore; this morning I flew up.