Old 01-11-09, 07:15 AM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a long history of several sports. From the time I was old enough to play until my Junior year in college I played baseball. A shattered left foot and a detached Ulnar nerve ended that run. I also played football in high school to get out of off season baseball conditioning, lol.

After I joined the Navy I discovered Rugby and actually made alternate for the All Navy team and got to go the combined services championships in DC one year. I also took up softball in the Navy and figured it was a low level way to still play some form of baseball. We made it to the all military championships one year and won the NorPac region while we were in overhaul. My arm just couldn't hold up to the not so low level of play and thus ended that effort.

I've done some competitive shooting, both pistol and rifle. I've done combat shooting and long range. I went to Pendleton one year for the 1000 yard steel sights championships. Those guys are good, me not so much, compared to the pros.

I did tournament Tae Kwon Do for a couple of years, but the back and knees caught up to me, just as they did with running. I ran for most of my life until the mid 90's, but it dishes some real damage to my arthritic joints.

My time spent hunting, fishing, and camping went away with my daughter's soccer commitments. We spent several years traveling all over the country with her club team playing tournaments. With her regular fall and spring schedule, and High School schedule, she plays year around. It hasn't left much time, or money, for other stuff lately. She's a High School Senior now, and my free time is increasing.

The one thing I had always done off and on was off road motorcycle racing. That to took a back seat with the back and knees becoming an issue. I discovered Vintage racing and the American Historical Motorcycle Racing Association several years ago. I restore and sort of race (more like trail ride) while the serious guys have their fun. I'm pretty much down to one event a year and a few trail rides with friends now. I have to be very careful and the fun factor isn't quite the same. A major crash in 01 resulted in shoulder surgery and a few other dings and dents. The Spousal Unit pretty much put a stop to most of the nonsense after that.

Then there is the bicycle. I raced until 1990 when I got hurt on the job while working for my Uncle Sam. I had always ridden quite a bit and held some insane monthly miles averages for a lot of years. Once the back and knee surgeries started to mount up I sold off all of my bikes and figured that was that. Earlier last year I was talking with my surgeon and asked if he thought it would OK to try and ride again. He said he didn't see why not (find a Doc who is a cyclist my friends). It took me a while to convince myself that it was not something else that probably wouldn't work. I've had some set backs, and some physical therapy interruptions, but it seems I'm back. I'm not what I used to be, and at one point was full 100 lbs heavier than 10 years ago, but it's getting there.

Who knows, late in the summer this old dog who had a cup of coffee with the Cat 2's in Southern California in the late 80's just might show up at the Tuesday Night Crit here in Dallas. It might only last a couple of laps before I'm spit off the back and pulled, but what the heck, fun is fun.