mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
As best I can tell, here in north Texas (Dallas area), cyclotourists are kind of like porcupines. You know they exist, but you only see them in pictures; you don't ever see a real one.
There seems to be a racing and riding culture there including randonneurs though, in my brief travels through the area. I've done Texas Hell week in Fredericksburg twice and there seemed to be a reasonable contingent from Dallas Fort Worth metro areas with those interests.

Last weekend, I'm one of those porcupines that might have been spotted. I drove down to Brownsville just after Christmas and then spent the next eight days riding back up to DFW airport. This is a year that it is tough for me to take an extended vacation, so plan is to return to DFW in mid-May and then ride north to Omaha. I would then take another week later in the summer to ride from Omaha to Winnipeg and in the process ride the middle of the US between Mexican and Canadian borders. I didn't see any other cycle tourists riding the week before last.