Old 01-11-09, 12:59 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't see any eyelets. If it was me my first choice would be to get a Bob trailer, change the crankset to a triple with a low granny - at least 24, if not 22 - and get a wide-range cassette. Even if I was young again, I wouldn't tour with a double. I did that in my 20's and it wasn't fun. If I tried that now I'd damage my knees.

Another worry when carrying a load is breaking spokes - especially if you're big (although, from the looks of this bike, you're not.) The axle isn't the concern with a Bob - they give you a dedicated skewer to use. But a poor quality hub might be problematic, or an inferior rim, weak spokes, or improper spoke tension. Putting your weight on a Bob trailer takes a little of the stress off of your rear wheel, but since you're not putting any weight on the front wheel, not that much. There's another kind of trailer, called an ExtraWheel (not ExtraCycle - that's something else), that puts all the weight on the trailer's wheel. I'd at least look into it. I weigh 205 lbs. and carry a big load. I broke a lot of spokes on my first big tour. Since then I spare no expense or effort when it comes to making sure my rear wheel is as strong and well-constructed as possible. Since I've put this kind of effort into it I haven' broken a spoke.

You'd probably be best off if you bought a new touring bike - like a Surly LHT for $1050 - but then you'd still need camping gear, and a way to carry everything. It isn't cheap to get a nice, complete touring rig, but once you do it will last for years. On the other hand, you can successfully tour on just about anything, including your Paramount, and have a great time. Good luck, and enjoy!