Old 01-12-09, 07:48 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Front wheel flop/double legged kickstand?

Hello all.

One of my pet peeves is when I park my loaded bike and the front wheel flops over and the front end "walks away" on me. If I don't catch it, the whole rig can fall over.

I ride with rear pans, a Burley Nomad trailer, and only a handlebar bag on the front. I am currently using a chainstay mounted, single leg kickstand. When I park it for any amount of time, I usually use a short bungee cord to hold the front wheel still so that it won't flop to one side or the other, but for short stops (pictures, nature break, etc) it gets to be a hassle.

I'm thinking of making up a mechanical fork lock device. Maybe a spring loaded barrel and rod gizmo that I will install on the fork tube and HB stem. It's just an idea right now.

I'm wondering if a double legged kickstand will solve my problem. Could I cut the legs down to just the perfect length so that both wheels will stay on the ground, and the bike will still be supported? I don't want the front wheel to come off the ground and flop to one side or the other. Does anyone have any experience with what I'm talking about? I hope I'm making sense......

Also, I ride a Trek 520. I'm wondering how to install a double legged kickstand and not have the rear derailleur cable rubbing on the mount bracket, can I make a groove for it?

Any info appreciated.