View Single Post
Old 06-11-02, 02:43 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A week or so ago, I wrote the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (ODEQ) about my bicycle accident. I did this because, at my company, I'm the transportation coordinator, and under the EPA's rules the greater Portland Metro area is trying to get commuters to change from driving a single car. I have been commuting for a number of years now, but after my accident, I wanted to describe my feelings on bicycle commuting. The following is my e-mail to DEQ, followed by their response:

"I will be re-doing the commute options survey...in the next few weeks. My first results were in last week, but the turnout was not good.

"However, that's not what I'm writing about. DEQ wants us to use alternatives to get to work if at all possible. I've been trying bicycle commuting, and until last Friday it was working. Friday I bicycled to work all week. My commute is about 3.5 milse one way, which is great. But, the outcome was not great on Friday. This week, on the Bicycle Forum in the internet, I had to make some entries. You can find the whole story at:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...&threadid=7718

"At this point, I'm not too sure that I can advocate bicycling as an alternative way to get to work. In the last four years, I've personnally been involved in two potentially fatal crashes, neither of which are my fault! Besides being Transportation Coordinator, I'm also the Environmental Health and Safety Engineer for this site. I cannot advocate bicycling when it is proving to me to be more hazardous than parachute jumping (which I did for ten years in the US Air Force), and much more hazardous than scuba diving (which I've participated in for over 40 years).

"I know people are killed in car crashes frequently, but the perception is that driving is safer than bicycle riding. My question to you is, "What can we do to make bicycling a safer, more attractive alternative?"

"Last Friday, I was one of the first on scene of another bicycle/car accident. This bicyclist was going down the south side of Murrey Hill, and a car stopped right in front of him in the bicycle lane. He tried to stop, but ended up with a bleeding face and a broken front fork/front wheel of his titanium bicycle.

"John

"John C. Ratliff, CSP
"Sr. Environmental Health & Safety Engineer

Here's the response From Susan Drake of the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality:

"Hi John -

"I'm so sorry to hear about your terrifying experiences. I can understand how this would discourage you from encouraging others to cycle. As a bicycle commuter myself (I ride from Portland's westside to downtown 3-4 days per week), I can relate to your fears and concerns. I ride very cautiously and try to stay on routes that present the least amount of danger.

"Here are some additional things to ponder.

"Bicycle fatalities have been on the decrease in Portland for the past several years (see article:
http://www.bta4bikes.org/info/archiv.../cltr0697.html

"I pieced together some rough statistics - I'm looking for something more official. These stats say that Oregon's bicycle fatality rate is 3.4 per million per year while our automobile crash fatality rate is over 61 per million per year. I realize that with so many more people driving, maybe this isn't as meaningful as it seems. I'll look into this further.

"It's easy to overlook to hazards that car travel presents because much of it doesn't kill us outright, but does so slowly and insidiously:

*Over-reliance on cars has lead to inactivity and obesity - a leading cause of disease and death in the US.

*EPA just released a study (National Air Toxics Assessment) that indicates that Oregon has a serious problem with air toxics - pollutants known or suspected to cause cancer, birth defects and reproductive damage. These are chemical like benzene and acrolien. Many, if not most of them, come from car exhaust. Multnomah County exceeded health benchmarks for 14 out of 33 pollutants studied. Let me know if you want more information on this. All Oregon counties exceeded at least 6 chemical health benchmarks.

*8% of Oregonians suffer from asthma (we are in the top 8 states in incidence of asthma) - it was long thought that smog (the pollutant ECO addresses) was only a trigger, now it's being shown to be a cause.

*50% of urban land is used for cars. Impermiable surfaces lead to pollution runoff into streams and rivers and affect the rate at which aquifers recharge.

"Cycling inarguably promotes healthier lifestyles, reduces stress and road rage, keeps pollution out of the air, and reconnects us with the environment around us. Doubtless you know these things - that's why you ride!

"You pose a good question about what we can do to make bicycling a better alternative. Land use planning is a big part of it. Investing in bike lanes, cyclist and driver eduction and awareness. The Bicycle Transportation Alliance does workplace workshops to teach folks how to bicycle-commute more safely, comfortable and efficiently. I think they even address helmet hair (an issue for some of us). They have lots of information about safer bicycling and can be reached at (503) 226-0676.

"ECO does not require you to promote cycling. If you cannot in good conscience, then don't. Certain parts of town are better for cycling than others. My feeling is that the benefits outweigh the risks.

"I appreciate you taking the time to write and express your concerns. Please continue to do so in the future.

"Best wishes -

"Susan Drake"