View Single Post
Old 01-13-09, 12:01 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by JoelS
I've been thinking a lot recently about what caused the diet and exercise changes to stick this time. I've tried a few times before to lose weight, and did for a few weeks. Then went back to old habits. So what was different now?

I really, down to the core, wanted it. The other times I tried, I didn't really want it, it just seemed like it would be a good thing to do. So I played at it. Didn't take it seriously. Just played at it.

This time was different. I started snoring. I had sleep apnia. My BP was much too high. I went to the ER thinking I had a heart attack 16 months ago (turned out to be anxiety). I had heart palpitations. To be blunt, I was scared. This time, I really wanted to lose the weight. Need had nothing to do with it. Knowing it would me me healthier had nothing to do with it.

I wanted it. Badly. So I did it. I made all of the changes that needed to be made for the weight loss to stick. I woke up in the morning one day, got on the scale, and made all those changes. No going back, no scaling down. All at once.

On reading some of the posts on this forum, I question whether some of you have the commitment required, have the want required. Are you playing at loosing weight? Or are you going to do it. Now. Cut out the junk, cut out the soda, drink lots of water, scale back the intake, get on the bicycle or hit the gym at a minimum of 4 days a week for an hour of exercise each time (wandering from machine to machine at the gym isn't time spent exercising!). As they say in the ad, Just do it!

For those of you that want to lose weight, good luck. Make the changes you need and do it. But you have to really want it. No excuses.

--Rant over--
Hi Joel,

I agree with a lot of your post. But there are many roads to Rome. And some folks find the road tougher than others. Some of us fall off at times. Like me.

Your comment about folks not having the commitment required is the scream of a reformed wh*r*. I'm happy for you, but please don't go around judging other folks, least of all on the basis of posts here. I've tried not to be, although I've lost twice as much weight as you and have to work harder to ride than you do.

You also have to accept that some people want to be overweight. This was very hard for me to accept at first, but I've come to that conclusion. That's OK. They've made their choice. They can post here too.

Neil B.