Old 01-14-09, 09:16 PM
Lebowski
bikes are sexy

Bikes: [2008 specialized allez tripple], [2006 Specialized hardrock sport], [1998 Robinson Rebel], [1980's vintage schwinn ministing], [2008 specialized epic comp] - [2009 origin8 scout 29er], [2005 KHS DJ200]

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello fellow Wisconsinite,

my commute is relatively short, but i do take some lengthy excursions into the back roads to venture to other areas to visit friends.

in super cold weather the only real limiting factor is the depth of the snow and the amount of clothes you can logistically put on.

the gnarliest thing i ever did was 12 miles on ice covered roads drifted over with that dry powdery squeaky snow (you know what im talking about) the windchill was about -30. i survived but would not want to do that every day let alone twice a day.

balaclavas and sub zero air severly hinder my ability to take in the amount of air i need to sustain high speeds so i stay around a safe 12 miles per hour. i say safe because many of the roads dont get plowed, just driven on to the point of being lumpy treaterous ice roads.

if temps are around 20'f or up time is the only real concern. 20 degrees and up is what i consider comfortable this time of year in wisconsin. thats when i can comfortably bike in minimal clothing. (hat, sweatshirt, one pair of lighweight gloves, long underwear)

and i agree about taking extra clothes. that is a must on long rides. i always count on hiking my way out of the jungle if my bike fails. (i dont live in the city)
i also went the route of wearing boots and using big platforms instead of clipless. i want to be able to hike my way out of a s***y situation, and sheboygan county doesnt take care of their roads at all so i like to keep my legs ready to brace my self for avoiding a fall.