View Single Post
Old 01-15-09, 04:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by hardtail
Hi,

I don't think that Cannondale is a good touring bike at all. No way I'd shell out 1000GBP on it. Typical example of a big manufacturer entering a niche market and spending most of their $$$ on marketing.

Front Crank Truvativ Elita Tandem 52/39/30. Is that suitable for loaded touring??? 52 is too big IMO. Also, isn't 105 more road stuff... although I'm sure it's fine for touring.

Are the racks included. Not mentioned in the spec on the Cannondale site.

Aluminium frame? Don't like the rear triangle at all.

A touring bike needs to be designed for touring. Don't think that Cannondale has really been designed for its intended purpose. Of course that's not to say it's a bad bike. I'm sure its good and you could probably take it touring with no problems. It's just that for 1000GBP I don't think it's good value.

A Thorn Sherpa might be a better bike for around the same $$$ and less if the racks aren't included on the Cannondale.

Shop around. It's a buyers market out there and I'd say don't be shy to drive a bargain.

For the record I've got a Thorn Raven. Good bike but around 1,500GBP all up when I bought 2 years ago and I think the price has gone up since then.

Good luck with your purchase if you do decide to upgrade from your Raleigh, but shop around
Cannondale has been making touring bikes longer than just about anybody still in the business. Their first touring bike...and the first bike they offered...was in 1983. They've had a touring bikes in their line since then and often 2 of them. No marketing hype with this bike...just a solid touring history.

The Touring Classic is a European only model and, with the exception of the gearing, is just about what every touring bike ought to have and be. It's a long wheel base solid purpose built touring machine. While the bikes are stiff without load, they are extremely comfortable when loaded with touring gear. I can stand and climb on them, something that I could never do on a steel bike.

It'd be hard to beat the Cannondale and it'd do a whole lot better at touring than the Raleigh that Zweibel is considering. And, after changing all the stuff he'll probably have to change, adding racks and dealing with an ill tempered touring beast, the Cannondale would be a bargain.

I own a 2003 T800 that has been toured. It's a tough bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 01-15-09 at 04:26 PM.