Old 01-15-09, 07:07 PM
canflyboy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for Comments on my Winter Training

Facts: I'm a 50+, 200+ recreational road rider that started to ride again last spring.

Goal: To start the season in better shape and not be dropped (as often) this year with our group.

Typically ride around 200 - 300km a week during the peak (summer) with mileage decreasing into the fall. Big ride on weekends with friends, 30-35 k.p.h. average. I can hold out for about 2 1/2 hours and then tire.

I'm lucky to have a gym where I work and can get just over and hours worth of excersize in daily and I've built my program around this fact.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday: Weights - mostly lower body, some lower back and abs (if I have time at the end. Started November and December with low to low medium weights, 15-20 reps. January, February - increase weight to medium high/high - lower reps. March - back to higher reps and lower weights.

Tuesday and Thursday: 50 minutes on a stationary bike and then about 20 minutes of stretching. Tuesdays average 120 watts and Thursdays average 150 watts. I'll throw in four or five sprints the last half of my ride. I'll go hard until HR reaches 95% and then go back to normal (HR aprox 80%)

Saturdays: Spin Class - started just with just an hour - now I'm doing a double (two hours)

Variables: I follow the above at about a 90% success rate. Sometimes on the weekend, I'll do some riding/training at a nearby indoor Velodrome, so I'll pass on Saturdays spin class.

What am I doing right or what am I doing drastically wrong?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Canflyboy

Last edited by canflyboy; 01-15-09 at 08:00 PM.